Fire at the Central de Abasto: Sheinbaum rules out that it was due to extortion
the affected tenants will be transferred to another area so that they do not stop their work for a long time, added the head of government.
Mexico City authorities ruled out that the fire at the Central de Abasto registered on Thursday night was caused by extortion, said Claudia Sheinbaum, head of government.
“So far there are no reports of extortion at the Central de Abasto. In any case, they are going to investigate whether there is some type of crime within the power plant, ”she commented at a press conference.
"So far we do not believe that it was an issue of extortion," she remarked.
The head of government commented that the fire was controlled around midnight on Thursday and stressed that "it is very difficult" for the fire to be reactivated due to the high temperatures and the wind that is expected for CDMX.
“Now the removal and cooling stage begins with the application of water with foam. We see the emanation of steam and smoke when removing the material that is basically cardboard”, explained Juan Manuel Pérez Cova, first superintendent general director of the Heroic Fire Department.
Affected tenants at the Central de Abasto will be relocated
Regarding the workers of the Central de Abasto who worked in the burned area, Sheinbaum commented that they will be transferred this at the request of the people "not to stay long" without working.
“Then they are going to be temporarily relocated as the area is returned,” she said.
The Head of Government explained that the area was constantly recycling boxes and crates that the Central de Abasto itself used in its daily operation.
Sheinbaum clarified that so far there is no economic amount caused by the fire.